Safe2choose is a social not for profit venture established in August 2015. We are committed to addressing the barriers to safe abortion by educating women on how to access/use abortion pills responsibly through the internet and other modern ways of communication as well as by making abortion pills more widely available and affordable using the postal services.
About the Position:
safe2choose is growing rapidly and is forming a team to help us grow. You will work with both front-end and back-end web developers and should have a solid understanding of our full stack. You will also be bridging the gap between the visual elements and the server-side infrastructure, taking an active role on both sides, and defining how the application looks and functions.
There will also be an opportunity to contribute to safe2choose’s global operations. Specifically, security, confidentiality, and safety are essential components of what we do. Consequently, we are leveraging a serious stack of free and open source technologies like PGP, Etherpad, ownCloud, Jitsi, Bitcoin, and more.
• Work with internationally based staff via email, and phone.
• Report directly to Senior Developer in Mexico.
• Use the tools specified for task management.
• Give feedback to the team about different solutions.
• Assist and develop tools.
• Develop new user-facing features.
• Optimize applications for maximum speed and scalability.
• Assure that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end services.
• Strict adherence to the security and data management policies defined.
• Availability to respond in emergency situations.
• Flexibility to have occasional meetings outside work hours with the rest of the team based internationally.
• Remain informed about other relevant projects worldwide.
• Provide regular progress updates.
• University degree in computer science, informatics, etc, or at least three years work experience in website/mobile development.
• +3 years working with MVC frameworks for web like Ruby, Laravel, PHP.
• Knowledge of Node.js and frameworks available for it (Hap.js, Socket.io, Express.js, Meteor, Sails.js, etc)
• Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX.
• Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around such issues.
• Familiarity with front-end build tools, such as Grunt and Gulp.js.
• Good understanding of browser rendering behavior and performance.
• Experience with the following: Git, ssh, db management, responsive design / bootstrap, desirable experience with meteor.
• Fluent in English. Working knowledge of other languages (French, Arabic, Portuguese etc) is a plus.
• Must have independent access to a computer and internet.
• Interest in social justice and / or reproductive rights is a plus.
Compensation: This is a full-time position and will receive a monthly salary dependent on the experience level.
Category: IT & Programming
Subcategory: Web development
What is the scope of the project?: Medium-sized change
Is this a project or a position?: Project
I currently have: I have the design
Required availability: Full time
Experience in this type of projects: Yes (I have managed this kind of project before)
Roles needed: Designer, Developer, Project manager, Design a landing page