Purpose for the job
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for providing a variety of specialized tasks, ensuring accurate and timely delivery that is in compliance with the UN Agency’s rules and regulations. The Mechanical Engineer will assist the project team and logistics division in procurement of mechanical machinery and equipment. The incumbent will as well Work closely with other Architects, Engineers, Drafts-person and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design.
The Mechanical Engineer will also proactively manage the design/review projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNDP, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints.
Working with us
UNDP believes that an inclusive culture attracts the best talent. Our diverse workforce delivers effectively by tapping into different perspectives, experiences, knowledge and approaches. We are leveraging our workforce’s potential, and achieving greater organizational excellence.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. UNDP Passionate applicants should send their recent CV and cover letter accordingly.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
duties and responsibilities
1. Provide day-to-day technical support for construction projects.
• Review designs of the construction activities, and bring to the attention of the Project Manager any issues that might affect the technical soundness of the works; check and review the shop drawings as submitted by the contractor.
• Provide daily supervision tasks of the construction activities to ensure that works are implemented in accordance with the designs and technical specifications.
• Supervise contractors’ performance in all matters related to safety and workmanship at the project site.
• Closely monitor the progress of the construction works and ensure compliance with the construction schedules and, where needed, bring to the attention of the Project Manager, and the contractor any delays in the schedule.
• Measure and accurately record the quantities of the executed works, and check interim payment requests submitted by the contractor for completed works.
• Assist the Project Manager in conducting regular assessment of contract quantities to ensure they do not exceed allocated contract amounts.
• Verify the contractor’s material and equipment submittals versus the specified ones, and provide feedback to the Project Manager with all information’s necessary for the approval of material and equipment submissions.
• Request regular testing of different material used in the works.
• Assist the Project Manager in the review and evaluation of suggestions made by contractors for modifications to the drawings or specifications.
• Assist in implementing the project activities in accordance with the objectives and outputs and ensure the implementation of all components as per the UN guidelines and standards.
• Participate efficiently and transparently in the process of selecting and evaluating beneficiaries’ applications, technical evaluation of the target areas and cost estimates of many activities.
• Monitor all aspects of project implementation and its progress and undertake periodic field visits to project sites to identify and analyze and resolve technical, operational and financial issues.
• Ensure the achievement of outputs in line with the approved work plan through the day-to-day planning, management coordination and implementation of activities.
2. Reporting and participation at coordination meetings.
• Participate in regular site coordination meetings with all technical project personnel, counterpart engineers, contractors, and suppliers to discuss project matters, and prepare the minutes of such meetings
• Verify and record the daily site reports submitted by contractors, and prepare monthly progress reports for the construction activities in line with the projects planning, reporting and monitoring guidelines and the requirements of the project document.
• Issue site instruction memos to contractors for any technical matter related to the construction works or to any matter related to the safety of the works or personnel at the project site.
• Participate in the committee for final inspection and handover of the construction works.
• Assists in the performance testing and commissioning of equipment.
• Review and checking the as-built drawings for the completed works.
• Enhance the management structures and help to improve or establish communication and coordination mechanisms and procedures among the various stakeholders.
• Maintain close cooperation and coordination with other implementing agencies in target locations.
3. Maintain accurate project documentation.
• Ensure proper filing on site for all correspondence, minutes of sites meetings, equipment and material submissions, site instructions, information and drawings issued subsequent to the start of the contract, as well as clarifications and interpretations of the contract documents, progress reports and any other related documents.
• Ensure accurate maintenance of the project documentation including any variations and adjustments made during the project implementation.
• Maintains detailed documentation of all mechanical engineering activities.
4. Perform other duties as required.
• Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
• Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
• People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
• Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
• Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
• Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
• Report Writing: Ability to prepare quality reports.
• Quality Assurance: Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled.
required skills and experience
• advanced degree or equivalent in mechanical engineering or related fields.
• A combination of HND or Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
• Minimum 5 years relevant experience on projects of similar nature.
• Valid driving license and automobile is an asset.
• Membership in any accredited Engineers Association is an asset.
• Fluency in English both oral and written, is required;
• Working knowledge of another UN official language, including French, Portuguese or Spanish is an asset but not a requirement.
Category: Engineering & Manufacturing
Is this a project or a position?: Project
Required availability: Full time